Saturday, January 26, 2013

Beauty

Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting.
Charles Kingsley
I have done my fair share of wishing the winter weather away this year . . . too frigid . . . too gloomy. Yet, at times breathtakingly beautiful. . .

Tonight as I passed by my front window with a glance outside, a rare sight compelled me to stop. The foot of snow in our yard has a thin covering of crystalline ice, courtesy of the recent freezing rainstorm.  The ice-encased snow is truly breathtaking glistening in the evening glow of streetlights.  Having lived in a mountainous area my entire life, I have seen snow so frequently that I am not often taken in by the beauty of it. But just because I do not typically stop to notice its beauty doesn't mean it isn't there. The icy covering on the snow gave it a uniquely captivating look, making me take notice.  Truthfully, however, snow is always beautiful.  It is just easy to overlook this when focusing on the cold, the dark skies, and for me the fear of driving on slick roads.

The quick moment I took to absorb the beautiful scene outside reminded me that I could apply the beauty of the snow to life as well.  Even though at times life may feel overwhelming, or dark, or scary -  there is always beauty to be found.  It is up to us to take notice.   Beauty is always there.

1 comment:

  1. I think the ice storms in Missouri were the prettiest things I have ever seen. I love those little moments when we are reminded of the amazing beauty that is all around us.

    ReplyDelete